Saturday, February 6, 2010

fixing a corrupt user profile

This morning I tried to save a text file created in Notepad and was presented with this error dialogue box: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk\DR1". I also noticed that the main (Start) menu was slightly awry - the profile picture sat behind the menu as did the shut down options.

Since then, the menu suddenly righted itself, and the persistent error dialogue disappeared. It returns however, whenever I attempt to save a document in Notepad.

After a little investigation, I found this page, from which I deduced that the cause was probably a corrupt user profile. The solution was provided at this page. I duly created a new profile and discovered that saving Notepad files was unhindered outside the corrupt profile.

When the menu suddenly righted itself, and the persistent error dialogue disappeared, I paused the migration. But I know it'll have to happen, sooner or later. In the meantime, I'm using Notepad++, but the jump list doesn't work as well with it as it did with plain old Notepad.

No comments:

Post a Comment